My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas and, at first, I really couldn't think of anything I really wanted or needed. Then Amazon announced they were making it possible to check out books for the Kindle through your local library. This was exactly what I had been waiting for. We went ahead and ordered one and I was going to leave it in its package and not look at it. I knew I would be tempted to use it if the package was opened. However, my husband decided he wanted to see it, and we opened the package and I started reading a little about it. I realized you had to activate it by wi-fi and, since we don't have wi-fi at home, I told him I was taking it with me to the local Starbucks to activate it as I wouldn't be able to over Christmas and what fun would it be not to play with it on Christmas? Then I found all the dozens of books available either through the library or through Amazon for FREE! I started getting free books from Amazon, but then I had to take it to work with me (we have public wi-fi there) to download the books so I could read them over Christmas. Of course, then I had to try it out and started taking it to work to read. I didn't want my husband to know I was already playing with it. People at work discovered I had one and would come check it out. I think I sold two more Kindles and a Nook before Christmas. Finally my husband retrieved it so it could be wrapped (I guess he had figured out what I was doing all along). I've read about 10 books on it since I got it. I absolutely love it. I wasn't sure whether I would like it or not, since I am such a book person. But I love the fact you can adjust the size of the print, the Kindle itself is so lightweight, it's easy to read in bed, and there is always another book waiting. It holds your place, so every time you turn it on it's exactly where you left off. It's small enough to throw in your purse, even with it's little leather cover. It's easy to take to work or an appointment. I have just the basic model with screensaver and ads. The ads only appear when it's off, so they don't disrupt your reading. I don't miss having the touch screen at all. There are lots and lots of free books available for it. I probably have downloaded 100 already. Try it, you'll like it!
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




My husband turns 60 this coming April. Last fall I told him I wanted to get him a good bike for his birthday. (His bike was purchased at Wal Mart, and his arms grow numb from riding.)
ReplyDeleteWe went to a bike shop after finishing our ride to "look." We bought a bike. He can't wait.
So that was his big present.
He really needs an E tablet for work. I might get him a second present...come April...but he could use it now. Hm.
Sounds perfect for you Jane!
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing?
Linda