I read a wide variety of books, from mystery to historical to biography to romance, and from children to adult reading levels. I don't often review books that I read. The Hunger Games are just different enough that I felt compelled to rant a little. Without telling you anything at all about the books, I loved the first one, liked the second, and hated the third. You really have to read all three books for them to make sense, although I guess you could quit after the first one without too much trouble. But if you go on to book two, you have to read book three to finish the story. I've heard of teachers reading these books to elementary age children. Please don't do that. They really are too heavy a subject matter for such a young audience. Teenagers, yes. Elementary students, no. It is basically a war story with all the issues that war brings. Honestly, after finishing the last one yesterday evening, I was so upset it was hard to move on to anything else. Lots of killing, lots of blood shed, lots of questions. Even now my brain is trying to wrap itself around the ending. I wasn't sure about who I wanted to end up together in the end but still hated the ending. My recommendation: Don't read these, they're too weird. If you do, don't complain to me about the ending.
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I haven't read them yet, but trust that we do not hold them in our school library. If a child wants to read one, they have to have a note from their parents and then the book is obtained from the middle school. That hasn't happened yet.
ReplyDeleteOh my Jane...you're such a reader, so this must have been disappointing for you.
ReplyDeleteLinda