I'm still working on clearing out my mother's house. We had a garage sale on Saturday. I had wanted to have one a few weeks back, but my brothers' claimed other obligations every week. Finally we scheduled one for yesterday and, of course, the weather refused to cooperate. It's been dry and sunny for weeks, but yesterday the rain rolled in. It rained steadily from about 8-10 a.m. and then started tapering off. My brother had put up a large tarp awning which kept everything dry, but I'm sure lots of potential garage salers got up and looked out the window at the rain and decided to do something else Saturday morning. We stuck it out though and people came. Because I didn't want to pack everything back inside, I gave really good deals! The dozens of boxes of fabrics and linens stored in the greenhouse have been reduced to about 15-20. There are still about 20 boxes of books - the same ones my brother promised to take to the used bookstore last summer. I told him I'm taking a box a week to the Goodwill starting next week. If he doesn't do something with them, they will gradually disappear.
There is still alot of stuff in the house, but we are going to start working on something different for a while. We're going to tear the kitchen apart. It hasn't had a good cleaning or sorting out in at least 15 years. My brother keeps telling me he's going to do it, but it hasn't happened so Elsie and I are tackling it next since I've had it with his promises.
We were so tired yesterday but we had the Little Guy come spend the night. He brought all the old trucks and cars he's been collecting at Great-Grandma's. He was playing on the stairs and when I went to see what he was doing, this is what he had constructed on the Christmas advent wreath waiting on the stairs to be stored upstairs. A car perched on each candle. Too cute!
~Jane
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No, no, no, you got that wrong. The wreath wasn't waiting to be stored, you got it out early. That's the real story, yes?
ReplyDelete;)
Fridays are the big yard/garage sale days around here.
Fridays are really big here also but I couldn't get anyone to help that day. However, people know about ours and the minute they're advertised people usually start showing up. They just aren't your normal garage sales. Women sort through the boxes for hours and usually take home large piles of things.
ReplyDeleteJane, you sound exhausted. I have a fun idea. Get a large flat-rate mail box from the postal service and cram as much into it as you can and charge a flat fee, a surprise box! Offer them for sale here, on FB and to the Take Peace list. I will buy the first one.
ReplyDeleteLaVonne, you'd better be careful or boxes might just start appearing on your doorstep! I am doing better. I was pretty stressed out before the sale, but we did manage to get rid of a lot of it and everything in the greenhouse is now organized. I have a plan now for some of the rest of it. It is coming along. I think if we start cleaning now it will show how much we've accomplished already.
ReplyDeleteJane...sorry the rain came along last weekend! I like LaVonne's idea! I'd buy one too. You know how your Tasha friends are addicts! LOL...well, at least LaVonne and I! The picture of the wreath is just precious! You need a break! Love ya....Linda
ReplyDeleteWe are doing something similar. We've been selling bags of trims, etc., in the Etsy shop. I have a few other ideas waiting in the wings also.
ReplyDelete