Lent isn't really something we celebrate in our church. But it's something I often hear others talking about. Who is giving up lunches out at work, or meat, or sweets. I have given it a lot of thought and I finally decided that what I'm giving up for Lent is some time. I have a very strong faith in God and what I believe, and I'm pretty consistent about my prayer life and church attendance. But my practice of some of the spiritual disciplines (fasting, meditation, bible reading and memorization) is spotty. So for Lent, I am going to make it a point to read my Bible every day. One chapter of Proverbs every day until Easter. Hopefully doing this will get me to the point of this being a habit. I'm convinced that some of the hard things we go through is because we get so complacent about things like reading our Bibles and prayer and meditation. Sometimes I think we have to go through some tough things every once in a while so God can get our attention again. I'd like to get to the point where I was consistent enough in my devotional life that I could get past that thought.
~Jane





No comments:
Post a Comment