My mother and I both loved antique dolls. We were especially fond of our french fashion dolls of the 1870's. Consequently, my mother bought lots of fabrics that were vintage, of silk and other fibers, suitable for dressing our dolls. Every once in a while I'd say something like, "Have you got anything in lavendar? I want to sew a lavendar dress." If I was content to wait long enough, most of the time she'd come up with a couple pieces of fabric I could choose between. I made a number of dresses for my dolls, but my mother never finished anything for hers. I'm not sure she even tried. I think she liked the hunt for the fabrics more than she did the sewing of the dresses. Now I have all these wonderful fabrics for myself, but there are just so many of them! My daughter keeps asking me how many dresses I'm planning on sewing. I have to agree, it could quickly become a stash that gets out of control. So this evening, while watching "The Voice," I measured and cut fabric. I figure one yard is plenty of fabric for a dress for a 12-inch doll, so I'm only keeping a yard of each one and I'm going to sell the rest on Etsy. I have no idea of fiber content or age. Some yardage is narrow, 36 inches, so I know it's older. But all of it should be appropriate for sewing into elegant doll dresses. I just have to decide how much to sell it for.~Jane




Hi Jane...loved your dolly post. I think I have your mom's disease. Love to gather fabric, it is a sickness.
ReplyDeletePlease let me know when you post your fabric...would love to be able to buy some.
Ya, summer is so busy! Maybe after the antique show, we could get together...make doll clothes??? Would that be fun! I just can't do anything until after that show...lots of work.
Love, LInda