I pride myself on thinking that I'm fairly computer literate. I wouldn't want to have to tackle anything really elaborate, but I can find my way around the computer. I use one at work every day and love email, blogging, and computer games. I can do spreadsheets and all your basic things. Sometimes I know just enough to get myself in trouble. My husband gave me a thumb drive for Christmas. I wanted it to transfer all my photos to, off the computer. I'm always afraid the computer hard drive is going to blow up and I'd lose everything. In my defense, I have copied quite a few of the pictures on my computer onto CDs. But my whole photo organization thing is haphazard and I thought I'd put everything in one place. Thursday morning I started coming down with another head cold, and by the time I got home from work I was miserable. For some reason, I decided all I felt like doing was cleaning off my computer. My daughter's computer has died, and since my husband and I were already planning on getting another computer, we are going to give them our ours. It should still have a couple years of life in it since we just had the power supply repaired. I started copying over some photos. At some point the computer gave me the choice of backing up the files I was working with and, in my brain-addled state, I said yes. Wrong move. Apparently when I did that, the files were removed from my computer. I lamented the loss of my photos all day Friday until the computer tech told me to try restoring them. When I tried restoring them, it didn't work. Now my photo program doesn't recognize them. Ack! I was just about to go to bed last night, totally stressed out by the whole thing, when I got a message saying files were ready to be written to a CD. All, or at least most, of the pictures were in a temporary folder, so I just copied them back to a file on the desktop of my computer. Some time this week I'll transfer them to CDs. I think they are also on the thumb drive, but I don't trust it now. From now on, all photos will be transferred directly to CD, which will also save space on the hard drive. :)
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




My brother tells me I need to get all my photos off my hard drive and transfer them to CDs. Gulp. I am afraid, very afraid. Your are the wind beneath my wings! Unfortunately, that task is so far down my to-do list, I may forget to tell you of the success of your inspiration!
ReplyDeleteI agree, I need to get my photos to a CD. I am afraid of losing them also...
ReplyDeletekim