I haven't put in a garden the past couple years because I was so stressed out and focused on working on my mom's stuff. I also kind of gave up on the flower beds a few years back because no sooner had I planted bedding plants in the beds, the neighbor's chickens would root them all up. It was discouraging and now my flower beds are full of weeds. My knees are also so bad that it makes doing a lot of gardening difficult. It's hard to get up and down to weed or plant, and bending over for extended periods of time is also difficult. But since I brought my mom's greenhouse home, I have felt the need to do something with it and it, in turn, has sparked my interest in gardening again.
I am gradually working my way around the house, weeding out the beds and planting some flowers. I have planted the outside garden plot with tomatoes and squash, beans, corn, and onions. I've discovered that if I bring a sturdy folding chair with me, I can use it to get up and down to weed. I also bought some new gardening tools that are sharp and really help with the digging and weeding. But where I am really having fun is in my greenhouse.
The two long walls of the greenhouse have been washed and next I need to scrub down the ends and the door. Inside we have put down weed barrier and paving stones down the center to make a path. Next I need three 3-foot by 6-foot beds. Two on one side of the path and one on the other. At first I thought I wanted a bed across the end, but I need to be able to get to the window, so beds on both sides is what I'm going to do. I have planted a dozen or more pots of tomatoes, peppers, stevia, melons, and some flowers to stay inside the greenhouse. They are already so much bigger than the ones outside in the garden. I also have a couple trays of vegetables that will be going into the outside garden or in the beds inside when I get them. Yesterday it was raining like crazy and I was able to go work with the plants with the raining drumming on the roof. So much fun!
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment