Each summer my husband and I take a vacation with some friends. The guys ride their motorcycles and the ladies ride in the support vehicle. We always have a good time. The route is chosen for what is fun to ride on a motorcycle, rather than the destination. This year we visited Boise, Sun Valley and Pendleton. In Boise we stayed at the Harrison Suites and it was a wonderful place to stay. The staff were nice and shuttled us around the town in their van, since there were six of us and only five could fit in the car.
At one of our stops, the guys helped the park ranger set up his tipi. They were really into it. Then we stopped at a cute park for lunch.
When we got to Boise, we toured the Old Idaho Penitentiary. There was so much to see, we ended up spending about five hours there between the prison and the botanical gardens.
The grounds were beautiful. The prisoners had raised roses for Jackson and Perkins. The cellblocks were horrible and I couldn't imagine people living there up until the 1970's.

This is a picture of some of the washing machines in the prison laundry. They were huge.
Solitary confinement was in a separate building called Siberia. My husband is standing in one of the cells. The only light in the cell came through a hole in the ceiling, which would drip water in from the outdoors.
On the grounds of the prison they have made a wonderful botanical gardens. We could have spent many more hours there.
We stopped at Craters of the Moon and looked at the lava beds.
We visited Sun Valley, which has hosted the Olympics in the past. It was a wonderful place to look at, but we couldn't have afforded to stay there. We did get to see skaters practicing on the outdoor ice rink in the 90 degree heat.
This was at a little store in Sydney. I bought some skeins of homespun yarn there from local sheep. It was the only yarn I saw the entire trip. Because I didn't have my own car, it was impossible to sneak away and do some yarn store shopping.
Well, that is my report on our vacation. I'll catch up on my projects finished since then in my next post.
~Jane














No comments:
Post a Comment