Tomorrow is a day off. I had planned to spend it attending the wedding of one of my husband's co-workers, but instead will find myself going to the funeral of a dear friend. She was a co-worker who retired about a year and half ago. She was a wonderful artist and had retirement plans of travel, teaching, and exploring her craft. She had one summer of travel, only to discover she had a brain tumor the size of an orange in her head last fall. She valiantly fought the good fight, only there really wasn't much hope of winning. The doctors don't really have a drug that can kill off a glioblastoma. The most they can do is buy you enough time to get your affairs in order. In Barb's case, she was able to attend her son's wedding. She died earlier this week surrounded by family. It really isn't fair. She had so much more she wanted to do.
My life this past 18 months has been so filled with loss. First, my mother. We had our moments, but I miss her so much! I still can't believe she is gone. Six months later, my best friend's husband's heart just stopped and he was gone. He was only 57. Then my mother's best friend, Carla, passed away about six weeks ago unexpectedly. It was like losing my mother all over again. And now, Barb. It is almost beyond fathoming. It makes me very grateful for the people I have in my life and appreciate that I can't take any of them for granted. I am also so grateful for my little guy. He was unplanned but so wanted, and I don't know how I could have made it through my mother's ordeal without him. God knew we were going to need him and sent him at just the right time.
So tomorrow my husband and I attend two events. One the beginning of life for a young couple. The other, the end of the journey for a friend.
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Oh Jane...hugs to you dear friend.
ReplyDeleteLinda
I understand. My friend Vicki died November 8th of last year, and on November 10th of this year--yesterday--her sister gave birth to a baby boy!
ReplyDeleteVicki's mom, and now Cyle's grandma was hoping he'd be born on the 12th, Vic's birthday, but now that he's here, she is not at all upset--as you can imagine.
But at the same time, it makes us all miss Vicki more, she would have been a doting aunt.
I'm missing my dad today, and his picture will be up on the big screen at our school's Veteran's day assembly.