I know I've written several times about sorting through my mother's things. She passed away a year ago last February. She just had tons of stuff to go through and my daughter and I are still sorting through boxes of things we've never seen. We probably have about 40 or 50 boxes left to go. We're trying to get ready for a garage sale in early September.

One of the things that my mother collected was aprons. Mainly organdy half aprons. I know they were a regular seller in her antiques space and, during the eight months she was hospitalized or in a rehab center, I ironed and sold quite a few while keeping her space going and stocked with inventory. At last summer's garage sales, we sold a lot of aprons. Quite a few armfuls of them. After the garage sale, my daughter and I couldn't bear to sell the rest of them at garage sale prices, so we started washing and ironing them, doing the few little mends required, and selling them on her Etsy site. I generally wash, mend, and iron, and my daughter photographs, lists, and sends out the sold ones. It is a pretty fair division of labor.

We've sold about 35 of them on-line, and at least another 30 at the garage sale. There are about 20 listed right now, and a bunch of them waiting for either pictures or the right season to list. I delivered most of what I had left to my daughter this afternoon. I only had these few to iron, maybe a few more in some of the boxes that I've brought home but not sorted yet. But I was finally feeling that maybe the end was in sight.

Then we started sorting through boxes today. It turns out a lot of the boxes today held inventory from my mom's antique space. My brother had boxed everything up when we closed her space. It included all the aprons I had ironed for her shop. Plus, we went through other boxes and found more aprons. So instead of just a couple, I've got about 40 more to wash and iron. And, don't forget we also have about 50 additional boxes to sort through. If you're interested in vintage aprons, keep checking our
Etsy website. We're continually listing new ones.
~Jane
The never ending story...
ReplyDeleteOf course, after sitting in boxes in the greenhouse all winter, I can't just sell them. I have to wash them so they're fresh. I just keep wondering what she planned on doing with them all. :)
ReplyDeleteYour mother unknowingly create "The Great Apron Shortage!" Now they are back flooding the market! lol
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot of aprons Jane! My goodness. Let me know when your sale is in September. If it's not when I'm meeting my business partner over in central Oregon, maybe I can drive up!
ReplyDelete