I already posted about breaking my 25-year-old Singer sewing machine. It is still sitting in the family room, waiting to see if I'll take it to the repair shop. Meanwhile, I am still debating about purchasing a new machine and, if so, which one?

Originally I saw a Singer 7470 Confidence machine that I thought I'd buy. But after doing a lot of review reading, I'm not quite sure. Many people don't seem to like the quality of the new Singer machines. The reviews are mostly good, but there are some troubling ones out there. Of course, you never know the abilities of the people using the machine and how much of the problems are from operator error.

Then I came across a similar sounding and priced machine, a Brother PC-210 PRW. It doesn't seem to have quite as many stitches, but seems to have everything I want. The Singer has a free arm, a one-step buttonhole attachment, some monogramming (although people say the letters are quite small) and a hand look quilting stitch. I can't find that the Brother does all that, although the specs say it has quilting stitches and comes with a monogramming foot. It has a free arm, and a one-step buttonhole, needle threader, etc. Otherwise they seem comparable and the reviews say it is Consumer Reports recommended and everyone's review loves it. Oh, the torture of it all! :)
Seriously, if anyone has input, I'd appreciate it.
~Jane
I am so sorry about your machine breaking! Most of my family participates in a craft that requires a machine (my mom, grandmother, and great aunt all quilt, I quilt here and there and make clothes, etc.) and I know how heartbreaking that is. I can ask around and see what my family recommend as far as a machine goes, but I'm pretty sure they are all loyal to Singer. I'll ask though.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I wanted to say thank you so much for the pocket diaper giveaway at Little Sprout Growing! I appreciate it!
Are you going to get an additional machine or a replacement one?
ReplyDeleteI was thinking replacement...but still might take the other one in to see how much they would charge to fix it. I just can't decide! :)
ReplyDeleteNew follower and thanks from LittleSproutGrowing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance to win a diaper...my friend's daughter is pregnant, and I'm hoping to get her into cloth diapering.
ReplyDelete(This young pregnant lady is my friend Vicki's sis. Vicki died last November, days shy of her 25h b-day. The baby is due this November, close to Aunt Vicki's birthday. I cried just typing that...)
A new baby will really help fill the hole in their hearts. I don't know what we would have done without our little guy. He is really what got me through my mother's last days.
ReplyDelete