After being inspired by the Julia Child movie, I decided 2010 was going to be the year of the scratch cake. I have been making cakes - angel food cakes, sponge cakes, spice cakes - all year from scratch with good results. (Even the spiced figgy cake turned out without the figs.) So, rather cockily, I started making a chocolate cake for my husband's birthday. I was halfway into mixing up the cake when I realized I didn't have enough cocoa powder. I looked up the equivalent amount of baking chocolate to use, only to discover that if I used the baking chocolate, I would have too much butter in the batter. Ack! Well, I decided to soldier on with the recipe and the layers baked up beautifully. But sometime between last night when they came out of the oven, and this afternoon when I went to frost them with my from-scratch chocolate buttercream frosting, they settled and became a lot denser. And after frosting and sitting for a couple hours, they settled even more. The cake looked good, tasted good, but the layers were pretty dense. I guess this is another cake I'm going to have to try again in my quest for perfect scratch cakes.
~Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Scratch cakes? Oh, a photo would have been fun. The closest this non-Martha (even though we share the same name) I can do is to add extra ingredients to a mix. I'm posting about that next week...
ReplyDeleteI had to stop by your blog from Java's list...I am learning to knit!
So I'm following. Hope you can check out mine some time.
I should have taken a picture, but not exactly sure I wanted to remind anyone of how it turned out! At least the frosting was good. :)
ReplyDelete